The answer to this question is no easy one to find. As the saying goes, ‘you should know why before you can find the how’! So, let’s begin the search…
As I said, I was lucky enough to get a survey from a major airline, and from what I can gather from that, these are the major reasons for overbooking: – The airlines have a quota and they will overbook flights if they feel they cannot fill the flight. If they don’t have enough seats to fulfill the quota, they will put up their prices to a level that will get them there.
– It costs the airlines more to put up passengers on the plane that they would have put up as passengers in the first place. In this case, they overbook because the customers won’t give up on buying their tickets!
– They have to overbook seats as it is the only way to get flights. Overbooking does help them gain some more seats, but they just feel like they have to make a profit in this case.
– They put up customers at the last minute, and usually customers are given a few minutes before their flight to change their seats. This does not look good for the airlines, because if they make a mistake, then their customers will be forced to stand in long queues (because the people will be seated), and this will lead to further crowding on the aircraft. Not a good thing for any business.
– When the flight is overbooked, the ‘sold out’ signs to stay on the seats, sometimes for hours. This may seem like a bad thing, but if you think about it, if there are not enough seats left on the plane, and they keep going, you may end up with a place to stay in a very inconvenient place, such as a garage.
– People who do not get seats will usually just wait around until the flight is overbooked, and it will take a long time for the flight to take off. They will then ‘crawl’ into a seat when the flight finally takes off. This may cause other passengers to suffer in their seats as well.
Of course, the reasons behind overbooking are complicated, and the effect on customers are very serious. One of the greatest things to happen to customers in recent times is the ability to book flights online.
Booking flights online is probably the best thing that has happened to the traveling public in many years. It is made all the more important by the fact that many travel companies overbook planes and it is not good for customers. Another problem with overbooking is that it can be tough to even book the flight, and many customers will turn to booking flights online to avoid the overbooking problems.
The reasons behind overbooking are unfortunately complex, and a flight can be overbooked in different ways. As I said, the airlines have a quota, and they feel that they cannot get it if they put up too many seats.
If the plane is full, the airlines must go ahead and give the extra seats away – they cannot just keep them and risk losing money. If they do not have enough seats, they cannot overbook flights and they need to find another solution to fill the seats.
These are just a few of the reasons behind overbooking flights. It is difficult to put a specific number on the amount of money that is spent on overbooking, but it is obvious that it is not an amount you want to spend on your next holiday!